“Hello Julie Ann Art readers! I’m Heidi, from Row House 14. Similarly to Julie, I own a small shop in which I design and make greeting cards and stationery, but when I’m not busy with that I absolutely love cooking and baking. When Julie asked me to write a guest post for her, I knew that I had to share one of my tasty treats. She always seems to be making a yummy concoction of some sort and I figured this would be right down her alley.
This recipe for Marble Squares is one that I’ve been baking for years. It’s a simple cake-like brownie that has a cream cheese topping. Aside from being absolutely delicious, it is oh so moist!
– 8 ounce package of softened cream cheese
– 2 1/3 cups sugar
– 3 eggs
– 3/4 cup water
– one stick of butter
– 3 ounces unsweetened baker’s chocolate
– 2 cups flour
– 1/2 cup sour cream
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 1 teaspoon baking soda
– 6 ounces of chocolate chips
1. Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
2. Combine softened cream cheese and 1/3 cup of sugar in a bowl. Blend in one egg. Set mixture aside.
3. Combine butter, water, and unsweetened chocolate in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stirring contantly, let the butter and chocolate melt and bring to a boil. Once mixture has come to a boil, remove from heat and set aside.
4. Cream 2 cups of sugar, 2 eggs, and sour cream. Mix in baking soda, salt, and flour. Finally, pour in chocolate mixture that was set aside while blending slowly.
5. Pour batter into a greased 9×13 baking pan. Pour cream cheese mixture on top of the batter. Using the blade of a knife, marbleize the cream cheese mixture into the chocolate batter. Finally, sprinkle the top with chocolate chips.
6. Bake at 325 degrees for 35-40 minutes. Check to see if the Marble Squares are done by inserting a toothpick in the center of the cake. If it comes out clean, it is ready to come out of the oven and to be enjoyed!
I hope you enjoy these Marble Squares just as much as I do! Feel free to stop by my blog and try some of my other recipes as well. Thanks so much, Julie, for letting me stop by to share! :)”